Thursday 19 February 2015

Why it's okay if you aren't a fan of Beyoncé

We live in a culture where if someone achieves mega-fame, they are likely to retain and be revered for it. Some good example of people who have achieved mega-fame are Oprah, J.K. Rowling and in this instance, Beyoncé.



Beyoncé is a household name. It is a synonym for utmost fabulosity. If my friends and I want to seriously compliment someone we would say, "OMG, you are Beyoncé!". She is portrayed to be the closest thing a human will ever be to a God(ess) and is fondly known as "Queen Bey". Anyone who claims not to like Beyoncé is deserving of any form of retribution.

I know about two Beyoncé songs. Crazy in Love and Single Ladies. I have never particularly enjoyed her music simply because it has never been a genre I have listened to. Before you stab me with the nearest pencil, this is not me trying to say, "Look how different I am! Look at how I defy cultural norms!" or that Beyoncé is undeserving of any of her success. I have the utmost respect for all of her achievements and what she contributes to feminism.

What I want you, the reader, to acknowledge is how readily you were ready to stab me with that pencil. In a world where our whole lives are so public it has become part of ones social status whether or not one likes people like Beyoncé and it seems that it is only socially accepted to be part of her enormous fanbase.

This is my appeal to you to like what you want to like and respect other peoples prefferences. It's 2015!

Izzy

More on Queen Bey: http://hellogiggles.com/queen-bey-unretouched-photos

No comments:

Post a Comment